We Launched!

Arrow by Caleb Roenigk

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Almost 6 months—or better—exactly 170 days after Shaun, Jason, Ryan, John, James, and I met, we have launched the paid version of MODX Cloud. 170 days that included a wedding and honeymoon (for me), vacations, late nights, new ideas, planning, discussion, argument, documentation and design, and yet we launched another great product. One that I can only hope will grow awareness for MODX as a whole, and help fund the next versions of our CMS product.

I want to both congratulate and thank the members of our staff for their outstanding contributions to this suite of software. None of this would have been possible without the help of every member of the MODX staff, and all of them are geniuses, rockstars, ninjas, whatever the tech companies are calling ‘staff’ these days. Truly, in many ways, I have never worked with such an agile group of people in my career. Specifically, I would like to thank:

• Shaun McCormick, who built the Cloud Dashboard, integration to payment systems, operational software, and helped me work on CloudAgent, the multi-threaded multi-machine multi-location integration software behind all of the operations that MODX Cloud does.
  • Jason Coward, the architect behind Siphon and Vapor, two of the most critical additions to the platform. Building an application that extracts specific information from a CMS that is built to be ‘massively configurable’, store that information, and replay it against a new installation is no mean feat.
  • Dustin Walker, who designed the user interface of MODX Cloud Dashboard and modxcloud.com. I can’t wait to see the beautiful and usable things coming from him in MODX’s future for Cloud, for our CMS and other things we just might want to do.
  • Mike Schell, since I stole him from the PS team to work on the administrative tools we need to operate the Cloud, has done a fantastic job making sense of running something that can grow as large as we like.
  • Jay Gilmore, the man who got our community excited, kept those who asked for access informed, and helped make our beta successful.
  • Jeff Propes, who designed the secure locations on the servers in which the Clouds run.
  • YJ Tso, for making videos that describe what MODX Cloud does with a level of quality that we could not master internally without him, and providing tons of documentation.

These guys have truly shown not only how quality software is made, but a kind of dedication to our products and company that I have rarely seen.

I would also like to thank George Karidis, Paul Ford, and the rest of the great folks from SoftLayer. Not only have they been our infrastructure partner, but as part of their Catalyst Startup Program they helped us better define the product, offered us office space, and provided us with tons of caffeine.

I look forward to where MODX Cloud and our CMS take us in the future.

About
Kevin likes to do new and interesting things. He's found a new series of challenges working with and for MODX, as CTO.  Creating both processes and technologies, considering new ways to solve problems, and using fascinating technologies makes him happy.  When he is not writing code, or rampaging around the office innovating, he can be found at home with his wife and two children.  He thoroughly enjoys beer, travel, beer, and eating things.

13 Comments

1. Peter B, Inc.
    Oct 11, 2012 at 01:06 PM
    Congrats! I was just wondering when you're going to launch as I didn't see anything on my end that would stop me from moving forward.

Congratulations!

1. Paul Ford
      Oct 11, 2012 at 03:37 PM
      Congrats MODX Team!!! Really Cool to finally get this over the line. I KNOW how hard the entire Team has worked to get to this point, so...once again...CONGRATULATIONS !!! Im really glad that we could give you boys a hand.

1. Ovidiu Savescu
        Oct 11, 2012 at 04:09 PM
        Congrats everyone for an awesome idea put into practice with equal awesomeness!

I already purchased my first account!

1. Menno Pietersen
          Oct 11, 2012 at 05:31 PM
          Amazing! Great work all, I just bought my Freelancer package and will be in the cloud very soon....

1. Nik Makhov
            Oct 12, 2012 at 01:39 AM
            All cool about MODx Cloud except I can't create a cloud using Beta plan.

1. Jay Gilmore
              Oct 12, 2012 at 07:34 AM
              We have resolved this glitch. You should be able to create Clouds now. If you have any further issues, please click the help link in the Cloud Dashboard.

Cheers,

Jay

2. Gauke Pieter
              Oct 12, 2012 at 03:33 AM
              Congrats! *hurries to the order-form*

1. Robert Ross
                Oct 17, 2012 at 03:16 PM
                So this launch means a launch of the beta? I want to move all my new clients to this but https://modxcloud.com/ says beta here and there, which is making selling it a little more difficult. It says paid is coming soon basically.

1. Jay Gilmore
                  Oct 18, 2012 at 07:10 AM
                  Robert,

MODX Cloud is in Open Beta. Inside the Cloud Dashboard you are able to purchase Account Plans including the Client Plan and additional Production Clouds onto which you would place live sites (and point domains to).

We are in the process of developing the signup flow for the website for people to purchase plans and signup for a free trial and that is why we still have the Beta information in place. There are people who have launched live sites in MODX Cloud and a number of people set to do so in the coming days.

Again, paid is here today but can only be purchased today inside MODX Cloud.

Jay

2. Peter
                  Oct 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
                  You mention Jason's development of Vapor and Siphon. Having used Vapor and being impressed, I am wondering what Siphon is?

1. Kevin Marvin
                    Oct 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM
                    Peter:

Siphon is the technology behind the Snapshot system in MODX Cloud. It was one of the first features that we designed, and the progenitor of much of what was built after it. I had spent some time with one of our partners in Houston and noticed that they had pre-built, templated installs of MODX that they used for their clients. It really sparked the idea for Siphon for us, and thus, much of MODX Cloud.

1. Peter
                      Oct 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
                      Cheers, Kevin. Interesting to hear how the project originated.

2. Peter
                    Oct 20, 2012 at 03:59 AM
                    So you're working on a version of Vapor for Evolution next, right? ;-)

To leave a comment, please Login.