We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 32 Posts
    Hi all.

I’m doing a test installation on a hostgator host.

While walking through the installation process, the installer warns me:

Checking if Register_Globals is off: FAILED!

So edited the included sample .htaccess, uncommenting the line:
    php_flag register_globals Off

As a result, I get a hostgator/apache error page declaring an internal server error:

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@*****.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I uncomment every single line except for my target line, and I still get this error.

What could be going on here?

btw, thats the only installation hitch I get. If I skip that step, then modx installs ok, and I get dumped to the admin interface. If I go to the frontend, I see a "welcome to modx" message.

Thanks.
      • 3,975 Posts
      IIRC their servers arent configured to alter php setting through .htaccess file.

Ask you host if you can have your own php.ini file in the root folder.
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • 32 Posts
        Quote from: zi at Jul 15, 2010, 07:20 AM

IIRC their servers arent configured to alter php setting through .htaccess file.

Ask you host if you can have your own php.ini file in the root folder.

Problem resolved. Hostgator are fantastic.

I got a support person and asked him if I could set php settings with .htaccess.
        I didn’t get a direct answer from him. He just asked about the directive.
        I gave it to him. He told me it wouldn’t work

Then:

Also you can turn register_globals off in a php.ini file .
        There is a php.ini quick Config in cpanel under the
        software /services heading that allows you to do this simply

I’ve never used this part of cpanel.

I go into cpanel > software/services > php.ini QuickConfig.
        There’s a lot of setting there, and I’m not familair with all of them. I found the setting for register_globals and changed it.

I created an info.php file, uploaded and checked it. And that setting has been changed.