The MODX contributors and the integration team are happy to announce MODX Revolution 3.0.0-rc1—the first release candidate of the next big thing for MODX. Revo 3 offers a completely new back-end Manager experience, updates the codebase to embrace modern PHP standards, adds compatibility with PHP 8.1 and generally improves the software overall. This is the first of two RCs planned before the final release, in just a few weeks.
What’s Changed in RC1?
There are a lot of improvements in the first RC release, and these are minor fixes as we get closer to the release of Revo 3:
- Fix ability to edit empty files (#15977)
- Simplify lexicons in grids (#15673)
- Flatten lexicon parameters by dot notation (#15492)
- Fix a subnav position issue (#15970)
- Fix undefined index in modMediaSource (#15966)
- Fix combobox not expanding if processor response is slow (#15926)
- Update category’s rank in the tree after save (#15956)
- Add loading mask to Package Manager (#15907)
- Add missing Static Resources lexicon key (#15931)
- Make validation error messages consistent on save (#15937)
- Setup context improvements (#15868)
- Fix labels and descriptions in TV quick create/edit (#15951)
- Fix Firefox rendering issues (#15962)
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Form customization bug fixes and improvements (#15889)
- Remove redundant session test in setup (#15941)
- Fix PHP warning: trim() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given (#15624)
- Pass correct type to setlocale (#15961)
- Fix setStaticElementPath method (#15921)
- Fix UpdateFromGrid processor for Form Customization Sets (#15955)
Security & Stability
- Add error_page and site_unavailable_page protection (#15579)
- Add permissions to enforce access to specific resource types (#15888)
- Add PHP 8.1 to CI matrix (#15960)
- Update xPDO to 3.0.1 for PHP 8.1 compatibility (#15959)
The focus now is testing MODX Revolution 3.0 and Extras—new features will now target the next minor 3.1 release. You can follow progress towards the next RC2 on our Github project. We look forward to the final release, targeting key dates:
- 3.0.0-rc2 on Thur, Feb 3
- 3.0.0-pl on Thur, Feb 24
Help Make Our Best Release Ever
We’re hoping you will make time to test our first release candidate to confirm things work as they should. You can test in MODX Cloud or download MODX 3.0.0-rc1 to test locally. The best way to test is to make a copy of an existing site, upgrade it (and all the Extras), and let us know how it goes.
If you find any issues, please report it to our GitHub project—it’s pretty simple to do.
Please DO NOT use this version in production, as it is still not final and some sites or Extras may have issues that need to be addressed.
Thank you for helping us make MODX better!