Published on December 18, 2018
Do you love building and maintaining critical, high-performance infrastructure to support modern web applications? Are you a self-starter who looks forward to both growing with and impacting a global team of intelligent people?
MODX is seeking a SysOps Engineer to join our team to help us build and scale MODX Cloud.
Our mission is to create the best tools for building and maintaining websites and to put them in the hands of organizations of any size.
Our journey began in 2004 with our Open Source CMS, ultimately inspiring MODX Cloud, our highly-tuned commercial PaaS solution. With more than 42,000 sites created in Cloud, customers rave about its thoughtful features, helpful support, and confidence in knowing their sites are in great hands.
- You will help develop reliable, scalable, and efficient solutions for new and existing services.
- You will work with LEMP stacks, CentOS and Ubuntu, SaltStack, and cloud technologies to deliver reliable platforms.
- You will assist thousands of customers on dozens of multi-tenant, failover, high-availability, and dedicated servers.
- You will sometimes help customers in Zendesk or on calls with environment-related questions so they can get the most out of MODX Cloud.
- You will be available on some evenings and weekends for a rotating on-call schedule shared with the infrastructure team.
Crucial Personality Traits
- You are self-managed, make effective decisions, and collaborate well with colleagues.
- You value process, care about the details, and love creating excellent documentation.
- You communicate well, both in text and verbally.
- You possess a solid grasp of Linux, especially CentOS and Ubuntu servers.
- You have an uncanny ability to debug and solve configuration, performance, security, and reliability problems with multi-tenant NGINX/MySQL/PHP application environments.
- You have spent at least 2 years maintaining 25 or more servers.
- You have demonstrable experience in multi-system maintenance and upgrade planning/execution using orchestration/configuration management tools like SaltStack.
- You possess knowledge of standard methodologies: monitoring, alerting, and metrics.
- Your preferred way to work involves a Bash or Z shell.
- You are proficient with Python and/or PHP.
- You speak and write English clearly.
Experiences that would give you an edge
- You have built or worked with MODX CMS websites.
- You grew up speaking Dutch, German, or Russian.
- PagerDuty called you at 3 AM because Datadog said so. Fixed by 3:10.
- You have dug deep into NGINX to build geo-distributed platforms that handle millions of visits a day.
- You firmly believe Let’s Encrypt secrets only belong in an encrypted vault that requires 4 people to open.
- You have experience with Ruby and JRuby.
- Pet-projects might use containers and serverless functions.
About the job
We work remotely and embrace Slack, video conferencing, and asynchronous communication to foster positive working relationships with our colleagues around the globe. We also highly recommend pants.
We work in small, highly effective teams, and every person is vital to the success of MODX. Our company is made of thoughtful, creative, problem-solvers who love their craft. We think surrounding ourselves with self-managed people who consistently do good work and positively inspire their co-workers is the greatest work environment. We believe in work-life balance, too.
At MODX, you will have many opportunities to not only do great work but also to impact the company and the team. You will not only improve our products and customer experiences, but you’ll also have a voice in shaping the company culture.
During initial training and onboarding, your hours will mirror our 9AM-5PM US central time hours. After this, we’ll jointly coordinate a schedule with an overlap of at least 2-hours with the North America customer support team.
Sound like a great fit and fun challenge? Then apply to join our team and help us grow MODX.
Compensation and perks
We offer competitive pay and benefits, opportunities for professional development, and the ability to impact a growing team. MODX is still small enough that your actions will help drive our success. Benefits include:
- The impact of working on a product that people from all over the world love, and being part of the reason why it continues growing
- Unlimited paid time off and vacation as long as your work gets done
- Medical/dental/vision insurance for you and your family (US)
- Paid travel to MODX Community events, conferences and company retreats
- Funding to improve your home office, for upgrading your computer or buying software, or for co-working space memberships
A place where everyone belongs
We are an equal opportunity employer and value respect, trust, collaboration, and having fun. Diverse experiences, backgrounds, viewpoints, and outlooks on life are welcome and respected.