A Mobile Responsive Site Should Be Mandatory
In Dec 2014, mobile devices surpassed desktop Internet usage. If your site doesn’t work well on a modern smartphone, you’re losing out:
- Casual couch surfers on their handsets will bail, becaues your site is hard to read and use. Their favorite sites are not, and that makes them sad.
- Google will similarly frown sadly, shaking its head, and push your site down in its search results.
- Google may not even show your site site in search results at all when performed from mobile devices.
- As a result, fewer people will find your site in the first place, which should make you sad.
A well executed mobile responsive site solves those problems and then some. You’re putting users first, and letting them interact with your site in whatever way they choose. This builds trust and loyalty, and hopefully contributes to building long-lasting relationships with your site visitors.
What is Mobile Responsive Design
Not long ago, a mobile site meant a separate “m.” domain, or proprietary service to auto-magically convert your content to work sometimes-passably into a mobile website. Today, it’s much less hassle with a lot less expense.
A mobile responsive website changes layout and presentation, based on the screen size used to access the site. On a large desktop monitor, you could have multiple columns across the monitor, but the same page viewed on a mobile handset might stack the columns to make it easier to read on the phone. This is accomplished by creating well structured HTML5 pages, styled with CSS3 to adapt to the different web browser widths without changing, creating or managing multiple different designs.
Benefits for Organizations
- Happy visitors mean more time on site, engagement and revenues
- Improve brand trust from great mobile experiences
- Improved SEO from higher ranking in search engines for mobile visitors
For End Users & Site Builders
- Only one site to maintain
- Better chance of supporting future devices based on existing implementation without additional work